New Hamas video: Israeli hostages Maxim Herkin and Bar Kuperstein shown for first time since abduction on Oct 7
The video has not yet been cleared for publication, pending the family's approval

Hamas released footage of two hostages on Saturday: Maxim Herkin and Bar Kuperstein. This is the first footage of Herkin and Kuperstein in captivity since their abduction on October 7 from the Nova festival in Kibbutz Re'im. The families of the two men have not yet confirmed the publication of the video.
Herkin’s family recognized his voice even in the blurred teaser that Hamas released. Just this week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu spoke with Talia Herkin, Maxim’s mother, and congratulated his younger brother Pete, who marked his Bar Mitzvah.
Herkin also holds Russian citizenship and, in the past, there have been attempts by the Russian government to secure his release. Senior Hamas official Mousa Abu Marzouk, who led a delegation of the terrorist organization to Moscow about two months ago, said that discussions regarding Herkin’s release would take place in the second stage of the deal. Abu Marzouk stated that Hamas is willing "to prioritize Herkin" so that he appears at the top of the list for release in the second stage.
This is despite Russia pressing Hamas to release Herkin – whose relatives also hold Russian citizenship –during the first stage of the deal, even though he is not on the humanitarian list. As mentioned, this did not happen and the first stage of the deal has ended, along with the ceasefire in Gaza, as the IDF resumed fighting in the Strip.
Just this past Sunday, Kuperstein marked his 23rd birthday in captivity. Bar worked as a security guard at the Nova party and helped rescue and care for people on Oct. 7. He was filmed on the day of the abduction by bound Hamas terrorists.
Bar’s family, who received signs of life from him, learned about the conditions in which he is being held from hostages released in the second hostage deal. Bar's aunt told Kan Reshet B that they know he is being held in a narrow, filthy tunnel.
She said: "There are no toilets or sanitation. They relieve themselves in the ground and bury it each time, which is why the stench there is horrible."
Bar’s father, Tal Kuperstein, became dependent on nursing care following an accident. Bar’s aunt said of his father's condition: "He is doing everything so that Bar will see him."
She addressed Bar and told him about his father: "I want you to know that he is already talking – he speaks with people, in the Knesset, and with the Prime Minister. He is fighting for you. He has already managed to stand and take a few steps with a walker."
Last week, Hamas released another video of hostage Elkana Bohbot – only a few days after a previous video in which he appeared alongside hostage Yosef Chaim Ohana.
משפחתו של אלקנה בוחבוט התירה לפרסום את אות החיים החדש: ""אנחנו חרדים ודואגים. עוד כמה זמן אלקנה יכול לשרוד בגיהנום בעזה? אנחנו מבקשים בכל לשון של בקשה מהציבור בישראל - תקשיבו לצעקתו של אלקנה. אל תשכחו אותו. חייבים להציל אותו ואת אחינו שבשבי"@hadasgrinberg pic.twitter.com/UIYtNM2KrI
— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) March 29, 2025
In the first video published of Elkana and Yosef Chaim, they cried out for help from Ohad Ben Ami, who had been held with them in captivity for a time. In response, Ohad published a post calling for their rescue:
"My beloved friends who remain behind in Hamas captivity, I love and miss you – and the other three hostages whose names I still cannot say. As I wrote in a post six days ago, they indeed fear for their lives, they are hopeless, and at this very moment their captivity conditions are worsening and their food rations are being reduced since we returned to fighting," Ben Ami wrote.

Anna Pines is a correspondent for KAN 11 news.